October 04, 2009

An Apple Pie Life

Can life be like an apple pie?

I never set out to be a farm girl. Actually, it was probably at the bottom of a very long list of possible careers when I was in high school. Somehow though I ended up here with a handy husband, 15 acres, 6 kids, an ancient farm house, 34 alpacas, 2 llamas, chickens and turkeys, 1 cow, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a HUGE garden and the occasional stupid mouse (stupid because our house cat is very, very good at catching them). I still look around at times and wonder exactly how it happened, but however it did I wouldn't change a thing. Well, except maybe the bathroom, but that's a whole other story.


Anyway, the more complicated life gets around us, the more I long for a simple, uncomplicated life. Of course simple does not mean easy and I will be the first to tell you how hard it can be. But the rewards are worth every ounce of energy we put into them. Knowing you can provide for your families needs by simply stepping out the back door or watching a newborn critter learn how to use its legs for the first time. These are the things that make this life worth the work.

I was making an apple pie for dinner yesterday and got to thinking how that pie was a lot like the simple life I wanted. The crust took some effort and the apples had to be pealed and cut, but with only a few ingredients and a little time we had an uncomplicated yet very delicious dessert. Who needs a souffle or creme brulee when you can have a good 'ole apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails