November 22, 2009

Recipe of the week -- Bean and Rice Enchiladas


Here is another recipe that I made up one day out of food boredom. I can't even remember the how or why, just that it was about 10 years ago and this recipe has become a family staple. It's not one of my cheaper meals so I don't make it nearly as often as the family would like, but it is yummy. It could also be made vegetarian really simply with the use of vegetarian refried beans.

Bean and Rice Enchiladas

1 box/pkg. (4.3 oz.) Mexican or Spanish style rice (think Rice-a-roni or something similar)
1 can (15 oz.) refried beans
1 pkg. (8 count) burrito size flour tortilla wraps
1 can (10 oz.) enchilada sauce (Old El paso is my fave) mild or hot, your choice
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese
Sour cream
shredded lettuce
black olives
green onions

Cook rice according to package directions. Cool slightly when finished. Pour a little of the enchilada sauce in a 9x13 baking dish. Not a lot, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish lightly.
Divide the rice and beans evenly on each tortilla shell (don't worry about being perfect. I normally have a little left over). Roll each tortilla up, making sure to tuck in sides. Place each in the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over the top of the wraps. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Top each serving with lettuce, sour cream, olives or green onions.

I should really learn not to make these posts before lunch. I starving now!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails