November 08, 2009

Recipe of the week -- Oatmeal Pie



I love oatmeal. I love it a lot. I love it for breakfast. I love it in my baked goods. Now I can love it for dessert. Do I sound like a bad Dr. Seuss book?

I recently had an oatmeal pie at a church dinner. It was good (my mom made it so I have to say that ;), but it seemed to be missing something. Sorry Mom. I came home bound and determined to make one. I scoured the internet in search of recipes and finally settled on one I thought would do the trick. I couldn't leave it alone though. I did change it a smidge.

It reminds me a lot of a pecan pie without the nuts. So I guess if you're allergic to nuts and are craving a pecan pie this might help? Don't know.


Oatmeal Pie

2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup butter, melted
A pinch salt
1 9-inch unbaked, single pie crust

Mix together the eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, coconut, oats, butter and salt. Pour into the unbaked pie crust.
Bake at 325* for 45 minutes or until golden.


Now the crust is entirely up to you. You can make one from scratch or you can use a pie crust purchased at the store. Whatever you normally use. I make mine from scratch (hate me if you must). It's never picture perfect, but it tastes good and isn't that the most important part?

I use a basic pie crust recipe from the red Betty Crocker cookbook. Everyone has this cookbook, right? I'll share the recipe anyway, just in case.

Mix 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Cut in 1/3 cup plus 1 tbls. shortening using pastry blender until particles are the size of small peas.

Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tbls. at a time, tossing with a fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves sides of bowl (2 to 3 tbls. total). Gather pastry into a ball. Shape into a flattened round on a lightly floured surface. Roll pastry using floured rolling pin into a circle 2 inches larger than upside down 9-inch pie plate.

Place crust in pie plate being careful not to stretch the crust. Fold under edges to fit pie plate. Flute or other decorative edge if desired.Very yummy. It's even better slightly warm. I put mine in the microwave for 12 seconds. Just enough to warm it but not make it screaming hot. Good with whipped cream, too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails