March 17, 2010

Fiber Fun Wednesday -- The Truth is in the Hat

If you've been following along at all, you know that I haven't been spinning all that long. In fact I've only had the wheel about 5 weeks (is that all??).

In that time I've spun quite a few skeins of yarn, but I haven't used any if them yet. I just keep looking at them. The first few are...well....not the best, but the last few have been good and a couple even great. I guess it's time to see how good they really are.

I am now starting the very first project with my own hand spun yarn. Yeah!

This is the beautiful skein of yarn I am going to use. It's a Merino/Bamboo mix in pinks and purples.

If you read last week's fiber post you may recognize it. It was still on the wheel then. The whole time I was spinning it, it was begging to become socks, but I decided to turn it into a hat. I want to wear the hat Easter weekend. I think I can have it done by then.

I've gotten a good start on it today. The edge ribbing is finished and I'm ready to start on the lace pattern in the hat. The original pattern called for double point needles, but ack! I hate those. So unforgiving on your hands and hard to work with. I do all my in-the-round work on 2 circular needles.

What do you think so far?

Knitting up this hat will give me a good idea how well my spinning is really turning out.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails