March 01, 2010

Recipe of the week -- Chicken and Cashew Fried Rice


Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!! I made this the other night and it was AMAZING!!!

I've never been that good at any type of fried rice recipe, but this was easy and turned out unbelievable!

I am a magazine junkie, just ask Jim. He is constantly rolling his eyes at me when we get to the checkout lane because I just have to get a magazine or two. I tell him it's why he eats so good. I get a lot of recipes from magazines or at least ideas for recipes since they don't always fit our tastes.

This recipe is a perfect example. I ripped this out of an All You magazine (sold at Wal-mart exclusively I believe). The date on the magazine is Jan. 22, 2010. I actually have binders of magazine pages sorted out by category of recipes I want to try. This one just happened to be sitting next to my chair waiting to go in the binder when I decided to make it.

Boy am I glad I did. It was wonderful and it has so many possibilities beyond the way it was written up. I'll share some of my thoughts after the recipe. (The original recipe used fresh ginger, but I never have that around. I substituted ground ginger in it's place)


Chicken and Cashew Fried Rice

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
3 tbls. vegetable oil
3 green onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
8 oz. snow peas, trimmed
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup chicken broth
4 cups cooked white rice
3 tbls. chopped roasted cashews

Combine chicken and 2 tbls. teriyaki sauce in a bowl and set aside. Warm 1 1/2 tbls. vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl.

Add green onions, garlic and remaining vegetable oil to skillet and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add snow peas, chicken broth and ginger, cover and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in rice, chicken and remaining 2 tbls. teriyaki sauce and cook, stirring, until rice is heated through. Sprinkle cashews on top and serve immediately.


This was soooo good I snitched Jim's leftovers the next day for lunch. I rarely eat leftovers so this was a big deal for me.

Now I think you could substitute just about any veggie you would like in this. My first thought was broccoli in place of the snow peas, but mushrooms, shredded carrots, water chestnuts, or any of your favorites would work. Most should cook about the same except the broccoli which will take a little longer to become cooked through.

I know it's really hard to make good Chinese food at home and I'm sure this isn't very authentic, but it is really good so enjoy a little taste of China at home.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails