June 11, 2010

Fiber Fun Friday -- Going Batty

Yes, I can occasionally be a little batty, but in this case it's the fibery kind of batts I mean. Not the craziness.

It's been raining here a lot lately. We get one sunny day and things just start to dry out and then it rains for a day or two. Ugh! Seriously, I could use some outdoor time to get some stuff done, but it keeps raining!

Well, since I can't work outside (boo!), I took one of those rainy days and starting making some fiber batts since I was out of spinning material. Let me clarify that....I always have fiber to spin, but whether or not it's in a form I want to spin it in is the question.

Anywho, I started by taking some black alpaca and mixing it with some purple wool I had dyed up and got this.


Oh, for those of you who have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about...
I'm taking fiber (in this case from our alpacas) that has been washed and running it through a little thing called a carder. It's like giving the fiber a good hairbrushing. I'm straightening all those little fiber hairs so they go the same direction and compacting them into a "batt". See the picture below. I can then spin yarn from this. Cool, huh?!


Ok, the black and purple turned out so cool that I got inspired to make more....and more.....and more. Hehe. I made so many that I don't know what I'm going to do with them all. I even listed a couple on Etsy. How's that for productive?

(this is about half of the batts I made)

Hey, now I'm wishing for another good rainy day to make more instead of a sunny day. Weird. :o)

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. this is very interesting... what you do. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get what you are talking about. Such beautiful fiber, so little time! What's the fiber content in the first picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first picture is 85% alpaca 14% tencel and 1%glitz. You can find it in our Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails