December 13, 2010

Recipe of the Week -- Thumbelina Cookies

I can't believe Christmas is nearly here! I've barely even started my holiday baking not to mention all the presents that still need to be finished. {Sigh}

I wanted to share with you my absolute favorite Christmas cookie ever. They've been my fave as long as I can remember and in fact, I am eating one right now as I write this.

You can use any frosting to top these, but I will include my frosting recipe that I use on all my cookies.



Thumbelina Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk, well beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg white, unbeaten
1 cup crushed walnuts
1/2 cup frosting of choice

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Blend in flour and salt. Shape into 1-inch balls. Dip each ball into egg white then roll in nuts. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Dent center of each ball with thumb. Bake at 350* for 5 minutes. Remove from oven; dent again. Return to oven and bake 12-15 minutes longer. Cool. Fill center dent with frosting.

Cookie Frosting

1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening
dash salt
1 tsp. vanilla
5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk

Mix all ingredients but milk in an electric mixer. Using highest setting gradually add milk until creamy. Use food coloring to color if desired.


For more great recipes visit Two For Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, What's Cooking Wednesday and Tuesdays at the Table.

11 comments:

  1. I will have to try these cookies! I'm a new follower from Chickadee Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting via Tasty Tuesday...
    These look so easy and sweet! They'd be a nice addition to a cookie tray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't started either. I'm trying to save some shred of my diet plan, but then the girls really do need to learn about the Christmas baking phenomena. We will see how it all plays out in these last two weeks!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmm! I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute are these, love the frosting and the thumb dents, how fun.

    All week I am hosting a Holiday Treats week linky, hope you will stop by and join in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies sound really good. And they look so cute!

    I'd love for you to stop by my blog on Thursday for my Christmas Recipe Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw the green frosting, I was a little afraid that these would be a mint cookie (I'm one of the few people in the whole world who doesn't like mint). But walnuts, ohhhhh, now you're talking! Thanks for sharing your favorite with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're only eating one as you write this?!? You've got more willpower than me....They look very good and with the chopped walnuts mixed in..Sigh!..Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look delicious and i love the color frosting on top--festive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are adorable! And they sound delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound so yummy and look so fun! I might just have to make it with the boys.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails